PSALM 127

Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman keeps awake in vain...Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.

Friday, February 5, 2010

A Divine Parallel

Why is it that you hurt those you love the most…

Every day I go to work from 6:30-3:00. I fight the fatigue and moodiness that so often accompany pregnancy and put my best foot forward for my coworkers and customers. I smile when “Mr. Impatient” is rude. I return kindness to those who are snippy and impolite. Yet, as soon as I walk through the door at home, I unleash every bit of exhaustion and agitation I have been holding in throughout the day. On whom is it unleashed? …on the person I love the most.

At first I didn’t buy into the thought that moodiness is a legitimate symptom. I thought it was nothing but an excuse to have a bad attitude due to the physical discomfort of pregnancy. Now I understand it is very much legit. I have no physical discomfort. I have no excuse. The Lord has blessed me with a super first trimester. I have not been sick once. Fatigue is my only physical battle – hardly justification for the way I’ve treated my husband for the past month or so. I have tried and tortured his spirit on a regular basis. As soon as I clip Kyle at the knees I regret it. I’m constantly asking for his forgiveness. It’s exhausting for me. How much more so it must be for him. He has had every reason to snap – to give up. He just never has. He smiles when “Ms. Impatient” is rude. He returns kindness to me when I am snippy and impolite. I am amazed by his steadfast love. What a husband he is! What a father he will be! I love Kyle David Boyce!


The parallel has become so clear to me in light of my sin. Kyle is to this marriage as Christ is to the Church. He is forgiving. He is a strong leader with a gentle spirit. His response to my ugly behavior is always unconditional love. I am humbled and grateful. 

Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
For the husband is the head of the wife,
As Christ also is the head of the church,
He Himself being the Savior of the body.
But as the church is subject to Christ,
So also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives,
Just as Christ also loved the church
And gave Himself up for her,
So that He might sanctify her,
Having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word,
That He might present to Himself the church in all her glory,
Having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing;
But that she would be holy and blameless.
Ephesians 5:22-27

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog, Victoria! Glad we can keep up with you and your growing little one :) Hope things are going well!

    ReplyDelete