PSALM 127

Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman keeps awake in vain...Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

August 18-26

The days leading up to Eliza's Birthday were wonderful.  Kyle had taken a few days off before and after her due date (Aug 25) just in case she came early.  We had the opportunity to hang out - just the two of us.  A marvelous thing!  I was grateful to feel well enough to be out and about.  We walked around the neighbornood, walked the mall, drove down bumpy roads, walked the neighborhood some more...

I went to the doc on August 18, excactly 1 week before the due date.  They hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor and found I was having decent, regular contractions and that Eliza's heart was responding as it should.  This was shocking to me because I didn't think I had been feeling a thing.  The nurse kept saying - "You don't feel that?"  Then I finally discovered that what I had assumed was Eliza moving around or running out of room, were contractions.  The top of my stomach would harden quite a bit every 5-6 minutes and then release.  It was uncomfortable, but it wasn't unbearable.  I had been feeling this for a couple of weeks, but had no clue they were contractions.  Amazing when you think you have read it all, there are still quite a few surprises.  I was progressing well and was told it could be 2 weeks or it could be tomorrow. 

The last week I had to pray constantly against anxiousness.  I had no excuse for being anxious.  I felt great.  (Sure I wasn't sleeping, had heartburn that had me exhaling flames and back pain out the wazoo - but who wants to hear abt that stuff?  Every woman since Eve has dealt with it so what's the point in complaining about it?  The Bible promised labor pains.  No surprise there.)  I was in great health and grateful for it.

I went to the doc again on Eliza's due date - Wednesday, August 25.  I was surprised to discover that I had gained 5 or 6 pounds in a week.  Thankfully I wasn't swollen and my BP was still stone-cold normal.  Did I mention how grateful I was?  Gotta love these West Virginia summers!  Thank you, Lord! 

After the check-up, my Doc looked at us and said, "Wanna come on in this Friday?"  Kyle and I looked at each other with big 'ole grins, looked back at the Doc and in perfect unison said, "YES!!!" 

Hallelujah!!!  Induction here we come!

*So I may as well address my thoughts on this much debated issue while we're on the subject.  I'm obviously not gung-ho on natural this and that, wait til the baby comes, no intervention, no drugs, this is my birth plan, yada yada.  (After all, I am married to a man who gives epidurals on a daily basis.  And no, they have no effect on the baby - they don't go into the blood stream. Nor do they slow the progression of labor.  My OB was actually the one who, during labor, asked me why I was waiting so long to get the epidural.  His words:  "Don't believe what you read, there is no evidence that it slows anything down." OK, off that soapbox.) I truly respect those who are convicted with these thoughts.  I'm just not.  Neither is Kyle.  To me, there is something wonderful about a prepared environment with medical professionals all around, ready for whatever your body or baby throws their way.  Is there a right or wrong to this issue?  Is it black and white?  I really don't think so. 
**Proverbs 16:9 "The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps." 
We pray for the Lord to reveal His perfect will for our individual lives, but we still have to work.  We still have to take the initiative to act upon the Holy Spirit's quiet voice within us.  The Bible is black and white on every issue it presents, but it still calls for us to judge.  My thought is that we have to be sure our judgement is a discerning judgement rather than a condemning judgement.  I appreciated learning something our current pastor, Pastor Semel has said:   "When you forbid things the Bible allows, then soon you will begin to allow things the Bible forbids."  

Turns out Eliza's entry into this world required the presence of the NICU team.  Praise the Lord they knew to be in the room and prepared for her the second she was born.  The providence of the Lord always leaves me awestruck.

The other wonderful thing about an induction was that it allowed our family to prepare for the 8 hour trip from SC to WV.  We were surrounded with love and support from start to finish and they could safely take their time on the way up.  Thank you again, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment